|My Published Article in Adarsha Samaj National Daily|
- Schizophrenia is a severe form of mental illness affecting about 7 per thousand of the adult population, mostly in the age group 15-35 years. Though the incidence is low (3-10,000), the prevalence is high due to chronicity.
- Schizophrenia affects about 24 million people wordwide.
- Schizophrenia is a treatable disorder, treatment being more effective in its initial stages.
- More than 50% of persons with schizophrenia are not receiving appropriate care.
- 90% of people with untreated schizophrenia are in developing countries.
- Care of persons with schizophrenia can be provided at community level, with active family and community involvement.
Source: World Health Organization.