WHO Provincial Health Officer (PHO)- World Health Organization, Nepal
The mission of WHO is the attainment by all peoples of the highest possible level of health. The World Health Organization (WHO), Nepal invites applications from qualified and experienced candidates to fulfil the position of WHO Provincial Health Officer.
TITLE : WHO Provincial Health Officer (PHO)
CONTRACT TYPE : Special Service Agreement (SSA)
APPLICATION DEADLINE : 06 March 2019
DURATION OF CONTRACT : 6 months with possibility of extension
UNIT/OFFICE : Health System Strengthening (HSS)
DUTY STATION : Respective Provincial Ministries
NUMBER OF POSITIONS : Seven (7)
Salary : Lump sum package of approximately NPR 220,909/- per month (Taxable)
Objective of the Position:
To support provincial health authorities in health services division and health programmes, in planning, management, coordination and monitoring of health services in line with the agreed national priorities enunciated in WHO Country Cooperation Strategy (2018-22), and ways to overcome health system barriers for advancing Universal Health Coverage (UHC).
Duties and Responsibilities:
Under the overall guidance of the WHO Representative and led by Public Health Administrator, the incumbent will work closely with the health services, nursing and allied health professions education, and planning and monitoring section in the health services division of the Ministry of Social Development (MoSD). S/he will support in formulating, implementing and evaluating provincial policies, strategies, planning and budgeting essentially to invest and improve health services delivery in the province where positioned. For undertaking the above, a quarterly plan will be agreed for the Provincial Health Officer (PHO). The main components of the plan could be similar, but might differ depending on the health and development needs of the individual provinces. Each quarter, all PHOs will come together in a province, selected on a rotation basis, for a joint review and plan for the next quarter.
Specifically, the PHO, placed in the provincial health services division, working under the overall guidance of WHO Representative to Nepal and direct supervision of Public Health Administrator, will:
- Define, working in partnership with provincial and district health administration, the health system needs and assist in health sector planning and budgeting, addressing local needs by designing relevant interventions keeping in view national and global commitments;
- Assist the departments of health in developing provincial plans based on the health and development needs; and in this exercise, liaise with other donor initiatives/partners in health for building synergies and avoiding duplication;
- Access and review health information system reports and working with provincial health administration define the performance of municipality, possible barriers and causes, and the way forward in addressing the barriers and harnessing on the opportunities;
- Assist in taking measures, based on provincial and district health development needs, for building capacity and preparing systems development plans; in this regard work with district coordination committee and assist in implementing the plans;
- Coordinate, within WHO, with non-communicable and communicable disease control, reproductive maternal neonatal child and adult health and nutrition; health emergencies and environmental health programmes and other activities to support the province;
- Provide technical assistance to implement the WHO evidence and guidelines and support Provincial Ministries to use in planning;
- Liaise and engage with other partners in health in capacity enhancing activities and to achieve SDGs targets, particularly universal coverage of safe and quality health services;
- Assist provincial and district health administration in determining needs of medicine and supplies and supporting procurement and supplies management;
- Building and promoting partnerships across the organization and beyond
- Producing results
Essential Knowledge and Skills
- Understanding of health policy and planning at provincial and local levels; and devolution in the federal structure and effects on health programmes;
- Understanding and knowledge of health needs, political and technical constraints and resource limitations;
- Understanding of organization and management of health systems, and capability to explain health system strengthening concepts;
- Capacity building, using methods like training, mentoring and example setting;
- Ability to work and interact with senior officials and political stakeholders for implementation of integrated health systems.
- Knowledge of government system’s functions and procedures at the erstwhile regional and local levels;
- Medical (MBBS) degree and/or Advanced university degree Master in Public Health or similar.
- At least nine (9) years of working experience in public health.
- Work is performed in normal working environment.
- Proficiency in the use of modern office software packages such as MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook etc.) and standard office equipment.
Only candidates under serious consideration will be contacted.
A written test/interview will be used as a form of screening. Interested candidates meeting above requirements should apply to the WHO Representative to Nepal, Attn: Administrative Officer, Pulchowk, Kathmandu, NOT LATER THAN 06 March 2019 by sending applications to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please submit an email application along with the WHO Personal History Form (PHF). The PHF can be downloaded from website: http://www.searo.who.int/nepal/mediacentre/vacancy/en/
No telephone enquires please. – Only short listed applicants will be contacted for tests. – Qualified female candidates are encouraged to apply. – Candidates from the respective province are encouraged to apply.
“WHO is committed to workforce diversity” WHO has a smoke-free environment and does not recruit smokers or users of any form of tobacco.
RELATED READING: Nepal–WHO Country Cooperation Strategy (CCS) 2018–2022