University of Waikato International Excellence Scholarship: The University of Waikato International Excellence Scholarship was established to promote educational opportunities, foster internationalisation and support talented international students who are enrolling for the first time into undergraduate or postgraduate programmes at the University of Waikato. Scholarships with a value of up to NZD$10,000 will be awarded to successful applicants from any of the countries listed in the table below who demonstrate excellent academic achievement, and the potential to become global ambassadors for the University. The International Excellence Scholarship will be applied to tuition fees only and is not transferrable. Students are required to pay their first year of tuition fees and apply for a student visa. The University will transfer the scholarship funding to the student’s tuition fees once their enrolment has been completed.
(by citizenship) USA, Canada Latin America Brazil, Colombia, Mexico, Chile Europe Germany, UK, France, Norway, China, Hong Kong, Taiwan, South Korea, Japan India, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka, Bhutan, Mongolia, Nepal, Pakistan, Cambodia, Indonesia, Laos, Malaysia, Philippines, Singapore, Thailand, Vietnam, Jordan, Iran Africa Kenya, South Africa, Zambia, Zimbabwe, Mauritius
- To be eligible, applicants must: a) be a citizen of a country above listed
- not currently be enrolled at the University of Waikato;
- must not have paid fees at the time of application,
- be applying to enrol for the first time in either an undergraduate or postgraduate degree at the University of Waikato;
- if they have studied in a New Zealand high school, be an international student who has completed Year 13 and who complies with the requirements of Immigration New Zealand (INZ) for the full tenure of the Scholarship;
- not be classified as a domestic student
- have met the University of Waikato’s English language requirements for admission, or have an offer for the Certificate of Attainment in Academic English at the University of Waikato, prior to beginning studies;
- have received a Formal or Conditional Offer of Place from the University of Waikato; i) in the year of tenure, be commencing a full-time programme/s of study with a total duration of not less than 12 months at the University of Waikato;
- be residing in New Zealand for the tenure of the scholarship and may only study a maximum of 50% of their course online (if this option is available);
- not be coming to the University of Waikato via a sponsoring body ; and
- not be coming to the University of Waikato on a Guaranteed Credit Arrangement ,or through a study abroad or student exchange agreement.
The Scholarship will have a value up to NZD$10,000 and will be applied directly to the recipient’s tuition fees for their chosen programme/s of study once their enrolment is completed.
- Students commencing in A Semester (February/March of each year) are able to enrol for the duration of the calendar year and will have the full amount of the Scholarship credited to their tuition fees.
- Students commencing in B Semester (July) are only able to enrol for the remainder of the calendar year (July – December) and will have half the amount of the Scholarship credited to their tuition fees. Once they have enrolled in A Semester of the following year, the remainder of the Scholarship will be paid to their tuition fees.
- Students commencing in T Semester (November), who are enrolled in Semester T and A (February/March), will have the full amount of the Scholarship credited to their tuition fees. 3.
- Applications for the Scholarship must be received by the University of Waikato Scholarships Office by: 10 December (first closing date for offers commencing in A Semester) 18 January (final closing date for offers commencing in A Semester) 15 May (for offers commencing in B Semester) 15 September (for offers commencing in T Semester).
- International students who are overseas at the time of submitting their application for the scholarship, must submit their scholarship application prior to lodging a visa application to travel to New Zealand, i.e. to be eligible to apply, the applicant cannot already have arrived in New Zealand.
- International students currently residing in New Zealand, who, at the time of submitting their application, cannot be enrolled at the University of Waikato or the Waikato Pathways College.
- Applicants must upload the following as part of their online application: a) their Conditional or Formal Offer of Place from the University of Waikato; and a) a personal statement that sets out the following (on the template provided):
What are your career goals/aspirations? How will an international education experience help you to achieve these goals? What additional qualities/skills do you have that make you an ideal candidate for this scholarship and an ambassador for the University of Waikato?
Te Mata Kairangi School of Graduate Research
The University of Waikato
Private Bag 3105, Hamilton 3240
Phone +64 7 858 5096