The YSEALI Academic Fellowships Program
The YSEALI Academic Fellowships are intensive, short term academic study programs whose purpose is to provide groups of young leaders from around ASEAN to come together on the campus of a U.S. college or university to gain a deeper understanding of the United States, gain knowledge of the subject matter, and simultaneously enhance their leadership skills through an international exchange experience.
These five-week institutes, include an academic residency at a U.S. college or university, leadership development training, an educational study tour, local community service activities, and opportunities to engage with American peers. Each program concludes in Washington, D.C. to allow participants to engage with policymakers, government representatives, businesses, and think tanks.
Since Spring 2015, Indonesian YSEALI Academic Fellows have joined fellows from other ASEAN countries to take part in academic institutes focused one of three core YSEALI themes:
- Civic engagement
- Environmental Issues
- Social Entrepreneurship and Economic Development
Who is eligible to apply?
YSEALI members from all 10 ASEAN countries who are current undergraduate or graduate students or graduated within the past 4 years. Joining YSEALI is free! Sign up on our website: https://asean.usmission.gov/yseali/
Technical Eligibility Requirements
Applicants must be:
- Between the ages of 18 and 25 at the time of application;
- A citizen of one of the following countries: Brunei, Burma, Cambodia, Indonesia, Laos, Malaysia, Philippines, Singapore, Thailand, and Vietnam;
- A resident of one of the following countries: Brunei, Burma, Cambodia, Indonesia, Laos, Malaysia, Philippines, Singapore, Thailand, and Vietnam;
- A full-time undergraduate student or recent graduate (graduated in the past four years from college, university, or other institutions of higher learning);
- Proficient in reading, writing, and speaking English; and
- Eligible to receive a United States J-1 visa (A J-1 visa is for individuals approved to participate in work-and study-based exchange visitor programs. As part of the J-1 visa, you are required to adhere to a two-year Foreign Residency Requirement. This means you will be required to reside in your home country for a period of two years before taking part in a similar program).
- Demonstrate strong leadership qualities and potential in their university, place of work, and/or community;
- Demonstrate interest, knowledge, or professional experience in one of the YSEALI themes;
- Demonstrate a commitment or interest in community service, volunteerism, or mentorship;
- Indicate a serious interest in learning about the United States and ASEAN as a region;
- Be willing to actively participate in an intensive academic program, community service, and study tour;
- Have a commitment to return to their home country to apply leadership skills and training to benefit their community, country, or the ASEAN region; and
- Preferably have little or no prior study or travel experience in the United States.
How to Apply:
- Applicants should submit an electronic application for this program HERE.
- The application deadline for the Fall 2018 YSEALI Academic Fellows program is June 1, 2018 (01:00 p.m. / 13:00 WIB)
- Note: Only shortlisted candidates will be notified to schedule an interview.
- Questions? E-mail the Youth Outreach team at U.S. Embassy Jakarta at YSEALIjkt@state.gov