The Wellcome Trust International Master’s Fellowships
The Wellcome Trust is a biomedical research charity based in London, United Kingdom. Wellcome Trust call for the applicants for it’s International Master’s Fellowships Program.
This scheme offers nationals of low- and middle-income countries the opportunity to receive training at Master’s degree level.
- Career stage: Postgraduate Training
- Where your host organisation is based: low- and middle-income countries
- Type of researcher: Public health
- Level of funding: £120,000 including salary, studentship stipend, fees and research expenses
- Duration of funding: 30 months (12 months taught Master’s course and 18 months research project)
Who can apply
You can apply for an International Master’s Fellowship if:
- you’re a national of a low- or middle-income country
- your proposed research focuses on a health priority in a low- or middle-income country
- you have sponsorship from an eligible host organisation in a low- or middle-income country.
- hold a clinical or non-clinical undergraduate degree in a relevant subject
- be at an early stage in your career with limited research experience (but you must have demonstrated interest in, or aptitude for, research).
Your research proposal
Your research proposal should be within our science remit and focus on a health priority in a low- or middle-income country.
When we consider your application, we’ll look at the:
- quality and importance of your research question(s)
- feasibility of your approach to solving these problems
- suitability of your choice of research environments
- suitability of the taught Master of Science (MSc) course you select – it should take place at a recognised centre of excellence and provide you with training that will complement your research project.
Who can’t apply
You can’t apply if you’re:
- intending to be based in the UK, Republic of Ireland or another high-income country(opens in a new tab) (although your taught course can be anywhere in the world)
- planning to do a Master of Research (MRes)
- a researcher in India – instead see the Wellcome Trust/Department of Biotechnology India Alliance(opens in a new tab)
- currently applying for another Wellcome Trust fellowship.
The Wellcome Trust wouldn’t usually expect you to apply if you already have a Master’s.
March 2018 round
- Application deadline : 26 March 2018, 17:00 BST
- Decision: June 2018
August 2018 round
- Application deadline: 31 August 2018, 17:00 BST
- Decision: November 2018