The Prince Mahidol Award Conference (PMAC 2019)
The Prince Mahidol Award Conference (PMAC) is an annual international conference focusing on policy-related health issues. The PMAC 2019 is co-hosted by the Prince Mahidol Award Foundation, the Thai Ministry of Public Health, Mahidol University, the World Health Organization, The World Bank, U.S. Agency for International Development, Japan International Cooperation Agency, The Rockefeller Foundation, with support from other key related partners. The Conference will be held in Bangkok, Thailand, from 29 January – 3 February 2019. The theme of the conference is “The Political Economy of NCDs: A Whole of Society Approach”.
To identify major bottlenecks, root causes and propose solutions at national and global level to accelerate implementation of NCD prevention and control
- To sustain global movement towards, and collaborations on the implementation of NCD prevention measures in particular the best buy long-term interventions.
- To brainstorm on the way forward after the 2018 UN HLM in implementing effective NCD prevention and control in particular the commercial determinants, health system preparedness and accountability and monitoring framework.
- To share knowledge, context-relevant experience, and viewpoints of international organizations and countries working towards prevention and control of NCDs.
- To provide a platform where policymakers, policy analysts, researchers, academics, representatives from development partners and all relevant stakeholders can learn from, and help strengthen capacity of, each other in the way that links to NCD prevention and control in the context of UHC.
- To promote intra-and inter-national collaborations amongst stakeholders.
The target audience includes policymakers, senior officers, and staff of national bodies that are responsible for the decisions of resource allocation in NCDs including the Ministry of Finance, Ministry of Health and other relevant agencies, HTA agencies, civil society organizations, international organizations and development partners, universities, and industries.
Call for Abstracts
The abstract must be in English only and should contain no more than 300 words that illustrate original research, or experience from the field on the subjects which have never been presented at any international conference.
All submissions should fall under three main sub-themes as follows:
- Sub-Theme 1: Analyzing the Political Economy of the Determinants of NCDs
- Sub-Theme 2: System Approaches to Address the Political Economy of NCDs
- Sub-Theme 3: Addressing Critical Challenges for Governance of NCDs
All submitted abstracts will be reviewed by an independent International Scientific Committee. The authors of the accepted abstracts will be invited to participate in the 2019 Conference during 29 January – 3 February, 2019, either as presenters in sessions or poster display (if any). If accepted to present in sessions, the author may be required to adjust the scope of their presentation to fit with the session objectives and format.
Successful abstracts for presentation in the session are required to submit a 2,000-word short paper of the selected abstract to be included in the conference documents. The deadline for the submission of the short paper is 1 December 2018.
The closing date for submission of abstracts is 14 September 2018 at 4:00 pm Thailand local time (GMT+7).
All abstracts must be submitted electronically at the Conference website: www.pmaconference.mahidol.ac.th.
Funding support for travel and accommodation for presenters, whose abstract is accepted, is available in limited number based on criteria. Priority for funding is given to authors whose abstract has been selected for presentation in the sessions, especially those from government, academics and NGOs of developing countries. The authors who have been granted sponsorship must be able to stay for the whole period of the main conference that is 1-3 February 2019. Please indicate in your submission, if you would like to be considered for the available scholarships.