The Kemitraan Negara Berkembang (KNB) Scholarship is a financial assistance offered by the Indonesian Government to International students coming from developing countries to pursue their master degree in Indonesian Universities. Initially, the idea of offering scholarships by the Ministry of Education and Culture of the Republic of Indonesia for the student coming from the NAM member countries was mandated in the 10th Conference of Heads of States of Non-Aligned Movement (NAM) countries commenced in Bandung from 1st – 6th September 1992. Following that mandate, in 1993 the Government of the Republic of Indonesia started offering postgraduate (master degree) scholarships to students from the NAM member countries.
Since 2002, due to the substantial change in the international political constellation, the use of the term “NAM” in this program was considered irrelevant. The program name then changed to Kemitraan Negara Berkembang (Developing Countries Partnership) Scholarship or KNB Scholarship. Consequently, the program have been widely offered to students, not only to the NAM member countries, but also to other developing countries such as Thailand, Fiji, Gambia, Senegal, Nigeria, Madagascar, Suriname, Pakistan, Guyana, Myanmar, Laos, Vietnam, and Vanuatu.
In 2015, the Ministry of Research, Technology, and Higher Education of the Republic of Indonesia took over the KNB Scholarship management. Some improvements have been made to better the scholarship management, both administratively and operationally. There are a couple of significant adjustments have been made so far: the scholarship coverage and quota were expanded and 2 prominent Universities were added to host the program (it makes a total of 16 host Universities).
- To contribute in the human resource development in the developing countries;
- To promote deeper cultural understanding between developing countries;
- To strengthen the relationship and cooperation between developing countries.
- Indonesian Language Training Program A one academic year Indonesian Language (Bahasa) course is a compulsory for all KNB students as all courses required to complete the Master program (lecture and thesis) will be conducted in Bahasa. The Bahasa course will be provided by each University.
- Preparatory program Preparatory program prior to the KNB Master program will be arranged in accordance with the conditions and program guidelines in each university.
- Academic Program Maximum of 4 semesters for post graduate program (Master Degree) and maximum of 8 semesters for under graduate program (Bachelor Degree). In order to successfully complete the program, it is important for all KNB students to consistently produce a good academic progress by developing a can do attitude, stay focus, punctual, and discipline.
Scholarship Coverage and Duration
- The KNB Scholarship covers: 1. A Settlement Allowance of IDR 1,000,000 will be given to new students upon their arrival in Indonesia; 2. While taking the Indonesian language course and preparatory programs, the new students will only receive a Living Allowance of IDR 2,550,000 per month;
- During the Master Program, the KNB students will receive a scheme of monthly allowance as detailed below: No Allowances Amount 1 Living Allowance IDR 2,550,000 2 Research Allowance IDR 400,000 3 Books Allowance IDR 350,000
- A health insurance with a maximum of IDR 200,000 monthly premium (In case of the cost of medical services exceeded to those covered by the health insurance, the difference should be borne by the student); 5. A round-trip international airfare (economy class) from the international airport of the student’s home countries to Indonesia, including local transport to the host university;
How to Apply
- Download the Invitation Letter (Available in the KNB Scholarship website)
- Submit the Invitation letter, Passport, Academic Certificates and Academic Transcripts to the Indonesian Embassy to acquire the recommendation letter
- Complete the online application process 4. Selection process 5. Selection Results Announcement.
The Selection Results will be announced online via the KNB Scholarship Website and officially announced through the Indonesian Embassy publicly.