The Danish Diabetes Academy PhD Scholarship Program 2018
The Danish Diabetes Academy (DDA) invites applications for 12 co-financed (2/3) PhD scholarships. Each scholarship is of 1,100,000 DKK (covering salary and tuition fee) over a period of two years.
The scholarships should be within diabetes and metabolism. Applications supporting the three major strategic areas of the DDA (internationalization, interdisciplinarity and collaboration across sectors) will be prioritized.
Expected date of reply is early December 2018.
Who can apply?
In order to apply for a co-financed (2/3) PhD scholarship, the following requirements must be fulfilled:
- You must have a Master’s degree*, a Bachelor’s degree if applying on the 4+4 agreement or an equivalent degree from a foreign university by the time of application.
- The principal supervisor must be associated with a Danish university(for foreign applicants, the DDA will be helpful with recommending a potential principal supervisor associated with a Danish university).
- A co-supervisor from another research discipline (e.g. basic science, clinical science, epidemiology, psychology etc.) or a collaborator from abroad or from another sector (i.e. general practice, university hospitals, industry) must be affiliated with the project.
- High-level English language skills are required (oral as well as written)
Already enrolled PhD students cannot apply or obtain funding from the DDA. Only PhD candidates may apply for a PhD scholarships (i.e. supervisors may not apply).
How to apply
Applications must be written in English and submitted via our online application form.
Please note that you must have a user login to the DDA’s website before you are able to submit an application.
Use the numbered order specified below for your submission. You may choose to upload in one single file or as separate files. The application must include the following (required format: PDF):
1. Project description including:
- Specific aims
- Background and significance of the project to the research area
- Preliminary studies (if applicable)
- Research design and methods
- Literature cited
Page limit for the research plan is 5 pages (font size 12, single spacing), including figures and tables, but excluding references. Applications with research plans exceeding the page limit will not be considered.
2. Motivation letter (max 1 page) including:
- An explanation of why you are the right candidate to complete the project
- Description of how the project and you support the three major strategic areas of the DDA
- Future career plans
- Information about current position, place of work and name of principal supervisor.
3. Detailed time schedule for the course of study (including documentation for agreements regarding change of research environment and/or studies abroad (e-mail correspondence is sufficient documentation))
4. Your Curriculum Vitae (including documentation of research experience e.g. experience with working in a research laboratory, pre-graduate research, participation in research conferences/meetings, studies abroad, etc.) (max 2 pages)
5. Your publication list including journal impact factor
6. Recommendation letter from the principal supervisor including:
- If available, a signed statement from the principal supervisor and head of department concerning expected or already granted funding of the remaining 1/3 financing of the scholarship (including 1-year tuition fee to the university)
- Description of the scientific environment where the PhD project will be carried out, including confirmation that the PhD project can be carried out at the department where the principal supervisor is employed.
7. Short CV of the principal supervisor (max 2 pages)
8. Copy of your Master’s degree certificate (including grades (from both BA and Master))
9. Collaboration agreement with other research groups nationally or internationally
10. Other relevant documents (e.g. grant letter confirming funding of the remaining 1/3 financing of the scholarship (if available), recommendations, IELTS certificate (international standardized certificate of English proficiency))
After submitting your application you will receive an e-mail acknowledging receipt of your application – if you do not receive this email, please contact the DDA Executive Management email@example.com to make sure that your application has been successfully submitted.