Summer Program 2018 2018
The EU Centre together with its partners in the Jean Monnet Network on Challenges to Multiculturalism and Multilateralism http://bit.ly/eucentresg-jmncmm are organizing a 2-week Summer Programme in Brussels and Jakarta in July 2018 to introduce students to the European Union (EU) and the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN). The programme will explore how these two regional organisations relate to each other and how they respond to the challenges to the multilateralism in a turbulent world.
The Summer Programme (from 15 – 28 July) will provide an opportunity to learn more about the EU and ASEAN, looking at their institutions, norms, and policies, and examine the roles they play in their respective regions and globally. The first week of the Summer Programme from 15 – 20 July will be held at the Brussels Campus of Maastricht University, and participants will get a chance to discuss with academics and policy experts the key issues confronting the EU. Also included in the programme are visits to the EU institutions and other educational excursions. From Brussels, participants will then travel to Jakarta and spend a week from 22 – 28 July at the Universitas Indonesia’s Depok campus to learn about ASEAN. Participants will also visit the ASEAN Secretariat to have a dialogue with officials from the Secretariat and also members of the Committee of Permanent Representatives to get insights into the working of ASEAN.
WHO SHOULD ATTEND?
- We welcome applications from all matriculated students (advanced undergrads – 3rd or 4th year students, and Master’s students) from universities from ASEAN and EU member states.
- Participation in the Summer Programme is FREE for all accepted applicants and includes the educational programme and excursions, accommodation and local transport. This is possible thanks to funding by the European Union’s Erasmus+/Jean Monnet Programme (with contributions from the National University of Singapore, Nanyang Technological University and Singapore Management University).
- Participants are responsible for arranging their own travel to and from Brussels and Jakarta. To help with the cost of travel, a number of grants of 500 € each are available from the EU Centre.
REGISTRATION AND APPLICATION
- To apply for the programme and the travel grant, please submit your CV, copy of transcript and a personal statement of 500 words on why you are interested in this Summer Programme and how you expect to benefit from your participation. Please also fill in the standard application form (bit.ly/SummerProgramme2018-ApplicationForm).
- Please address your applications to the Summer Programme and the scholarship to the EU Centre via this email address:
- The deadline for applications for the programme and the scholarship is 30 March 2018
CONTACT AND MORE INFORMATION
- For any enquiries, please email firstname.lastname@example.org