SSBH: Maternal Newborn Child Health and Family Planning (MNCH/FP) Specialist
Strengthening Systems for Better Health (SSBH) is a 5-year project aimed at improving health outcomes in Nepal, particularly for the most marginalized and disadvantaged groups in the country. This will be accomplished through supporting the Government of Nepal’s efforts to expand access to and use of quality maternal, newborn and child health and family planning services, with a specific focus on newborn care. Strengthening Systems for Better Health was initiated in January 2018 and will achieve three outcomes:
(i) improving access to and utilization of equitable healthcare services,
(ii) improving the quality of health services at facility and community levels and
(iii) improving health system governance, within the context of decentralization and federalism.
The Activity is implemented in close collaboration with the Ministry of Health and Population, the Ministry of Federal Affairs and General Administration at federal level, provincial and municipal governments, facility and community level health service providers and other key stakeholders. Project technical staff will engage at national, provincial and municipal levels in the target geographic areas of Karnali Province and Banke, Bardiya, and Dang of Province 5. The project is implemented collaboratively by Abt Associates, Save the Children, Karnali Academy of Health Sciences (KAHS) and Management Support Services (MASS).
SSBH is looking potential candidates for the position of Maternal Newborn Child Health and Family Planning (MNCH/FP) Specialist
LOCATION: Kathmandu, with 30% field travel
MNCH FP Specialist will oversee the maternal, newborn and child health and family planning technical aspects of USAID’s Strengthening Systems for Better Health project jointly with the Senior Technical Advisor and other Senior Management Team (SMT) members of the project and provincial technical teams. She/he will coordinate with Family Welfare Divisions (or appropriate authorities) of the Ministry of Health and Population at the federal level and other development partners primarily working in the field of MNCH and FP. Expected to work in close collaboration with the provincial team to guide and mentor field staff in technical and programmatic approaches to improving delivery of MNCH/FP services in project operational area.
KEY AREAS OF ACCOUNTABILITY:
1. Program Support (LOE 80%)
- Oversee all MNCH and FP components for Strengthening Systems for Better Health project, jointly with the Senior Technical Advisor
- Mentor, coach and support project team members in implementation modality and approaches for MNCH and FP initiatives jointly with province based MNCH/FP coordinators.
- In coordination with provincial technical and management team, provide oversight to the project field teams and troubleshoot any technical and programmatic challenges related to MNCH and FP aspects of the project.
- Work closely with other Specialists and ensure appropriate coordination with work streams overseen by those colleagues
- In coordination with Province based MNCH/FP Coordinator, lead and prepare to conduct situation assessments, documentation and timely dissemination of existing MNCH FP initiatives in health primarily focusing on Karnali Pradesh and other areas and incorporate appropriate initiatives (Intervention ) into project work plans and work plan prepared by Palika and Provincial governments
- Prepare and oversee implementation of MNCH and FP initiatives taken by the project and ensure timely delivery of activities (for example, monitoring against log-frames, individual performance management work plans)
2. Capacity Building (LOE 10%)
- In coordination with Senior Technical Advisor and province technical team, develop capacity building plans for the project team, stakeholders linking capacity building initiatives to wider opportunities identified on effective MNCH FP initiatives
- Lead the identification and facilitation of capacity building measures for project staff, government and partners on MNCH and FP
- Participate in development of strategies and tools to provide leadership, coaching and mentoring to different government counterparts and stakeholders, health facility staff, management committee members, community groups, , coordination committees to ensure that they have clear objectives, plans, and support to enhance community support for demand generation, management of health system, monitoring service delivery from equity perspectives
3. Coordination (LOE 10%)
- Represent the project team in selected technical working groups and forums at national forums in coordination with Senior Technical Advisor and other SMT members
- Collaborate and work with line agencies including MoH, MoFAGA, MoWCSW and other implementing partners and donors for smooth operations of the project activities on MNCH and FP activities
- Work with provincial teams and build their capacity to work with local elected bodies and councils at sub-national level to ensure their engagement and support for planning, implementing, monitoring of MNCH and FP related project activities
SKILLS AND BEHAVIORS (Our Values in Practice):
- Leads Programs/projects in technical as well as managerial capacity
- Shows a high standard of leadership quality in people management
- Shows an aptitude to transfer leadership skills to subordinates and team members
- Holds self-accountable for making decisions, managing resources efficiently, achieving and role modeling Save the Children values
- Holds the team and partners accountable to deliver on their responsibilities – giving them the freedom to deliver in the best way they see it, providing the necessary support and coaching them to improve performance.
- Sets ambitious and challenging goals for himself/herself (and his/her team), takes responsibility for their own personal development and encourages others to do the same
- Widely shares their personal vision for Save the Children, engages and motivates others
- Builds and maintains effective relationships, with their team, colleagues, members and external partners, and supporters
- Approachable, good listener, easy to talk to
- Develops and encourages new and innovative solutions
- Willing to take disciplined risks
- Honest, encourages openness and transparency
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Master’s degree in nursing or medicine or public health with clinical experience focusing maternal, newborn and child health sector.
- Minimum 7 (5 years for GSI* group) years of experience in related roles and responsibilities
- Previous experience of working in a role with MoH and donor or NGO or civil societies, at both national and sub-national levels
- In-depth knowledge of clinical and programmatic elements of MNCH/FP service delivery Familiarity with quality improvement approaches and systems
- Fluency in English and Nepali, both written and spoken
- Strong organizational and managerial skills
- Strong leadership skills and ability to develop this skill in others
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to work in a multi-cultural environment
- Able to establish good working relationships and positively contribute to a team
- Ability to effectively manage relationships between different stakeholders
- Flexible, positive and proactive approach to work
APPLY NOW : MEROJOB.COM (Maternal Newborn Child Health and Family Planning (MNCH/FP) Specialist)
APPLICATION DEADLINE: MARCH 16, 2019
OFFICIAL INFO: MEROJOB.COM. Please verify official link before apply.