NIHES/ESP Fellowship, Erasmus Summer Programme 2018
NIHES/ESP Fellowship 2018
Erasmus Summer Programme 2018
3 Weeks in Quantitative Medical Research August 6 – 24, 2018
Erasmus Summer Programme
In order to give students worldwide the opportunity to get acquainted with cutting-edge knowledge in quantitative medical and health research and to exchange views and experiences with fellow students, faculty and colleagues, the Netherlands Institute for Health Sciences (NIHES) in cooperation with University Medical Center Rotterdam (Erasmus MC) initiated the international renowned Erasmus Summer Programme (ESP) in 1990. The ESP consists of three consecutive one-week modules with more than 30 courses that focus on the principles and methods of applied quantitative research in medicine and health care. The key areas covered are: biostatistics, clinical research, epidemiology, human genetics, health services research and public health research. In 2017, the ESP welcomed more than 500 participants from various disciplines and with different backgrounds from more than 65 countries.
NIHES/ESP Fellowship 2018
NIHES offers a number of young, talented and motivated students the opportunity to participate in the Erasmus Summer Programme, which will take place in Rotterdam, the Netherlands from August 6 – 24, 2018. Three course packages have been carefully pre-designed in this framework to ensure the courses will seamlessly fit your academic needs:
- Research Training in Clinical Research
- Research Training in Genetic Epidemiology
- Research Training in Public Health
The fellowships are intended for promising young scientists who aspire to a successful research career, who are interested in obtaining a Master’s degree in quantitative medicine or health sciences, and wish to undertake a PhD research project in the (near) future. The fellowship programme is not intended for participants who are currently in a PhD programme or have completed their PhD in the past.
Fellowships cover tuition fee and accommodation (no meals). All additional costs ― travel expenses, subsistence, etc. ― are at the participants’ expense. Applicants, who have been granted a NIHES/ESP Fellowship, will automatically be enrolled in the course package of their choice.
Participants’ profile Applicants who meet each of the following requirements will be considered for a NIHES/ESP Fellowship:
- You have not attended the Erasmus Summer Programme, Erasmus Winter Programme or NIHES programme – with or without a NIHES fellowship – in the past.
- You do not have a permanent residence in the Netherlands.
- You aspire to a successful research career: you are interested in obtaining a Master’s degree in quantitative medicine or health sciences and you wish to undertake a PhD research project in the (near) future.
- You are not currently in a PhD programme, or have completed one in the past.
- You have a good working command in English, both written and oral.
Fellowship course packages
As indicated above, there are three pre-designed course packages (courses are subject to change) you may choose from. All courses are taught in English by leading international experts and take place at the Erasmus Medical Center Rotterdam, and each package includes a special lectures series and a social programme.
2018 Research Training in Clinical Research
- Week 1 Principles of Research in Medicine – ESP01 Introduction to Data-analysis – ESP03
- Week 2 Methods of Public Health Research – ESP11 Fundamentals of Medical Decision Making- ESP70
- Week 3 Primary and Secondary Prevention Research – ESP45 Value Based Healthcare, from theory to implementation – ESP76
Research Training in Genetic Epidemiology
- Week 1 Principles of Research in Medicine – ESP01 Principles of Genetic Epidemiology – ESP43
- Week 2 Genomics in Molecular Medicine – ESP57 Advances in Genomics Research – ESP63
- Week 3 Genome-wide Association Studies – ESP74 Human Epigenomics – ESP75
Research Training in Public Health
- Week 1 Principles of Research in Medicine – ESP01 Introduction to Global Public Health – ESP41
- Week 2 Methods of Public Health Research – ESP11 Methods of Health Services Research – ESP42
- Week 3 Primary and Secondary Prevention Research – ESP45 Social Epidemiology – ESP61
To submit your application, you need to upload each of the following documents through a link provided on the website:
1. A letter of motivation (max. 400 words!), with a focus on academic excellence and ambitions to pursue a successful research career. Why should we choose you? Also make sure that you explain why you have a particular interest in quantitative research?
2. An extensive curriculum vitae (résumé), including:
- a list of educational institutes attended + corresponding dates;
- degree(s) obtained or expected to obtain;
- work experience + corresponding dates of employment for each position held;
- research experience + a complete list of publications.
3. A copy of official transcripts of diplomas and reports (lists of grades), translated into English with stamps and/or certification from the institute concerned.
4. Two recent letters of recommendation.
5. A copy of your passport
If you are interested in applying for the Erasmus Summer Programme – NIHES fellowship, please make sure you meet all the profile requirements. Also, make sure you prepare your application package. A link is provided on the Erasmus Summer Programme website to submit your application.
Monday 02 April, 2018
Friday 18 May, 2018
Selection procedure You will be informed about the outcome of the selection procedure by the end of June the latest. If you have been admitted, you will receive further details about the NIHES/ESP Fellowship programme 2018, the course package of your choice and your accommodation.