- Postgraduate Certificate (6 months)
- Postgraduate Diploma (1 year)
- Master’s Degree (1 – 2 years)
- PhD (3 – 4 years)
- Before you begin your application
- Read Our scholarships – why New Zealand offers scholarships and what you will get with a New Zealand Scholarship
- Read your country page and ensure your application is aligned with the priority sectors for your country
- Understand selection preferences for scholars
- Understand what we expect from you if you win a scholarship – what you will need to do during your study and after you graduate.
- Do your research about which institution and qualification is right for you and the development needs of your country. For more information, see Where you can study and What you can study, as well as Study in New Zealand (external link).
Check how you should apply
- Most applications should be completed online and this is the only option for some countries. Paper applications are accepted for some countries only. (But applications for New Zealand Commonwealth Scholarships follow a different process.
- Check how applications are accepted for your country and scholarship type.
If both online and paper applications are accepted, please use only one method when applying. We strongly recommend online applications.
The online application process has four steps, all completed on an online application site (external link). The site will explain each step in more detail.
Step one: Confirm your eligibility
Complete the Online Eligibility Test. This will give you a number that you will need when you register (step three).
Step two: Create a Real Me login
This will give you a login and password that you will use through the application process.
Step three: Register with New Zealand Scholarships online
This creates your application account, and means you will be set up to complete an application.
Step four: Complete your application
This step will only become available when applications formally opens. Check application dates.
If you are interested in applying for a scholarship we encourage you to complete steps 1, 2 and 3 in the months before applications open.
Start your online application process now:
Start your online application process here (external link).