Monitoring, Evaluation and Research(MER) Officer – Jhpiego
Jhpiego is an international, non-profit health organization affiliated with The Johns Hopkins University. For 40 years and in over 155 countries, Jhpiego has worked to prevent the needless deaths of women and their families.
Jhpiego works with health experts, governments and community leaders to provide high-quality health care for their people. Jhpiego develops strategies to help countries care for themselves by training competent health care workers, strengthening health systems and improving delivery of care.
Jhpiego designs innovative, effective and low-cost health care solutions to ensure a level of care for women and their families. These practical, evidence-based interventions are breaking down barriers to high-quality health care for the world’s most vulnerable populations.
The Monitoring, Evaluation and Research Officer will provide overall technical leadership and program implementation for all Jhpiego’s program monitoring and evaluation (M&E) and research. S/he will ensure that quality M&E system are in place from field to central-level office, data quality, management of the Jhpiego JADE data base, timely reporting to donors and high-quality reports and publications. This position also will oversee all research conducted in Nepal by Jhpiego including ethical compliance, protocol development, data collection tools development, data analysis and reporting-writing. S/he will build the MER capacity of country office staff and country office system, as well as manage and supervise a variety of MER consultants. S/he will lead additional analysis of available national data sets and preparation of journal articles as needed.
Department: Nepal Country Office, ANE, Global Programs Operations
Position Reports to and is supervised by: Country Director, Nepal.
Works Closely with: Program Manager, M&E team in Jhpiego, Jhpiego/Nepal technical and program staffs.
Positions Supervised: None
Location: Jhpiego Nepal Country Office, Kathmandu, Nepal
- Take a lead role for designing and implementing studies including development of grant proposal, IRB protocol, ensuring compliance of IRB protocol, data analysis and reporting-writing
- Lead the development of manuscripts and abstracts to be submitted from Nepal country office and ensure it meets all quality and technical standards.Provide technical leadership and direction to country MER strategies, project monitoring frameworks, indicators and performance monitoring plans to capture program performance
- Collect service data from districts, analyze and share with program team on a routine basis to feed in to the programs for continuous improvement
- Ensure the program uses database to facilitate routine M&E data capture and analysis: Jhpiego Analytics Data Engine (JADE) base on DHIS 2, Standard Based Management and Recognition (SBMR) web configuration and mobile application and TrainSMARTweb configured database for training data are regularly updated and the data base reports are used in donor reporting and program decision-making. Utilize the data for reporting, strategic decision-making and program planning
- Build the MER capacity of country office staff and country office system, as well as manage and supervise a variety of MER consultants
- Develop MER systems from field to projects to country office to streamline data quality assuarance. Monitor data quality within the country office MER system and make improvement as required
- Provide technical leadership and guidance to the team and program counterparts at all levels to participate in and lead as needed, monitoring and evaluation of program and research activities and data use for programmatic decision-making
- Cultivate strategic MER relationships and alliances with donors, other implementing partners and key government counterparts (such as NHRC, management division or successor body) in close coordination with ANE backstop
- Streamline program indicators and MER systems to align with national level indicators with MOH priorities considering the Jhpiego Performance Indicators (JPIs)
- Design and lead efforts to link facility-based quality improvement measurements and processes with health outcomes using facility based service statistics; work with HMIS where necessary to facilitate integration of outcome indicators into national HMIS system
- Act as a country liaison for IRB and digital health
- Perform or assume other duties as assigned by Supervisor/ Country Director
Knowledge Management/Knowledge Sharing
- Prepare regular reports; develop process documentation, presentations and final reports for projects. Contribute to documentation planning and processes.
- In collaboration with the Jhpiego/Nepal team, identify and document programmatic successes, best practices, challenges and lessons learned.
- Coordinate and direct regular updates on new technical knowledge, approaches and successes to Jhpiego staff in Nepal through my Jhpiego, dropbox and onedrive..
- Assist with development and producing documentation, report and presentations according to jhpiego guidelines for internal program needs and externally for dissemination.
- Identify, lead and/ or support additional data analyses and preparation of publications and conference abstracts.
- Communicate with Jhpiego and Project MER staff frequently, as needed for sharing and conference abstracts.
Global Engagement and Communications Office GECO
- Familarize with Jhpiego communication policies.
- Ensure Jhpiego branding guidelines are correctly used by country office.
- Coordinate with GECO ANE backstop to produce communication materials as per communications standards.
- Work to develop additional communications materials as per need of country office.
- Take on a lead role to provide technical content to radio program in coordination with program staffs.
Leadership and Business Development
- Contribute to strong and innovative technical leadership and set priorities for all assigned duties
Regardless of the level of their responsibilities, all staff members of Jhpiego, an affiliate of Johns Hopkins University, are expected to
- Model the mission and values of Jhpiego
- Participate in the business development process
- Contribute to the knowledge sharing and transfer process
- Make responsible decisions that result in time and cost containment and clear accountability
Qualification and Requirement:
- Bachelor’s degree in Public Health/ Economics or related Social Science field. Advanced degree preferred
- At least 6-7 years’ experience in data collection, analysis, report writing, design and implementation of M&E/MIS on health sector intervention (preferably within an I/NGO setting)
- Ability to work well under pressure and with minimal supervision
- Excellent verbal and written skills in English and Nepali
- Excellent computer skills, particularly with Microsoft Excel and statistical packages (e.g. SPSS)
- Willing and able to be based and travel to project/program areas
Interested candidate should submit their application stating their motivation along with an updated CV at email@example.com by 11th March 2018.
Telephone inquiries shall not be entertained.
Jhpiego is an equal-opportunity employer. Qualified women and candidates from the marginalized community are encouraged to apply.