Individual National Consultancy ( 4 Consultants) – Support to Strengthen Routine Immunization Program in Province 2, Province 5, Province 6 and 7( Only for Nepalese Nationals)
Job no: 514239
Work type: Consultancy
Categories: Health, Consultancy
UNICEF works in some of the world’s toughest places, to reach the world’s most disadvantaged children. To save their lives. To defend their rights. To help them fulfill their potential.
Across 190 countries and territories, we work for every child, everywhere, every day, to build a better world for everyone.
And we never give up.
For every child,
The objective of the assignment is to quickly increase our UNICEF capacity to support the province as well as local government units (Palikas) to ensure there is no interruption of immunization services and to improve immunization coverage and meet the full Immunization Declaration by addressing equity and system strengthening through quality technical assistance, continuous capacity building, monitoring implementation and enhancing accountability.
- Provide technical support in planning and budgeting
- Work at each level to improve capacity for planning, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of immunization/MNCAH
- Improve capacity of implementing partners in planning and resource allocation for immunization/MNCAH program.
- Support to integrate and make linkages between the microplanning process and full immunization guideline as well as with the local level planning and budgeting process
- Strengthening Linkage: Work with provincial health unit and other social development sector units (Nutrition, WASH, ECD, Education, Adoelscent Programming) o strengthen and making a) cross-sectoral linkages and create synergies, b) linkages between various levels of health systems in the areas of technical support, referrals, supplies, supportive supervision, and reporting, etc.
- Oversight of health activities: The consultants must closely work and oversight other health activities such as MNCAH and IMNCI being implemented in the province and palika level to enhance local capacity in resource mobilization, effective implementation and monitoring of plan activities.
- Provide technical support in advocacy and social mobilization: provide technical support in designing and applying a strong communication for social change strategy based on community dialogue with clear and substantive participation of various community groups, including increased participation of community volunteers and leaders and ensuring their commitment.
- Provide technical support immunization quality mechanisms:
- Strengthening defaulter tracing mechanism and significantly reduce immunization dropout rate.
- Identify training needs and provide on job as well as well-organized training on vaccine and cold chain management, immunization in practice, injection safety and waste disposal and others.
- Support provincial/district level training for health workers and other stakeholders
- Efficient Use of Resources: Provide technical support to Health Workers on effective and efficient use of resource like cold chain, vaccine and other logistics, consumables and non-consumable supplies and on how to control stock and timely distribution of supplies and equipment to end beneficiaries
- Cold chain assessment and monitoring: Provide technical support in province and local level to ensure proper functioning of vaccine stores regular assessment repair, maintenance, availability of vaccine at all time in all facilities.
- Reporting: Provide technical support at all levels to improve recording and reporting of monthly, quarterly and annual NIP performance and provide strong support for the improved HMIS reports at the primary health care centre and health post levels.
- Supply & Logistics: Provide technical support towards improved logistics capacity for delivery of vaccine and cold chain. Ensure timely and appropriate vaccine supply and storage and monitoring temperature. Support to implement EVM improvement plan at province and district levels
- Support Monitoring by conducting regular monitoring focusing on:
- Routine immunization and new vaccine introduction,
- Intensification of Routine Immunization (IRI) Activities,
- Monitor the timely and quality immunization sessions,
- UNICEF-supported other Child health and Primary Health Care related activities.
Duration of the contract
This assignment is for the total duration of 9 months. (The total person days is expected to be maximum of 270 days).
1st Deliverable by end August 2018
– Submission of a situation analysis brief report on the status, lesson learnt from existing performances, focus areas or localities for more support
– A monhly activity report covering four areas of specific tasks 1) microplanning and budgeting 2) social mobilisation, advocacy and communication 3) routine immunization quality service provision 4) immunization data/trend analysis 5) cold chain systems performance and bottlenecks.
2nd Deliverable by end September 2018 and every months end till end March 2019 ( 7 months) – Draft final report is due end February
A monthly activity report covering four areas of specific tasks 1) microplanning and budgeting 2) social mobilization, advocacy and communication 3) routine immunization quality service provision 4) immunization data/trend analysis 5) cold chain systems performance and bottlenecks.
A draft final report on all activities on electronic support which includes lesson learnt and best practices
3rd Deliverable by end April 2019
A final report on all activities on electronic support which includes lesson learnt and best practices, presentation to the partners/inhouse. This will include a summary presentation, PPT format & SIAs data under Excel format.
- University Graduate in Public Health
- Minimum 3 years professional field work experience in planning, management, monitoring and evaluation of health-related programs. Updated knowledge on immunization program and new vaccine introduction and experience working on EPI with communities at grassroots levels is an advantage.
- Good written and spoken Nepali and English language.
- Good working relations with local authority and Health Offices very crucial.
- Good interpersonal skills, team oriented work style, work adaptation in multi-cultural environment, proven ability to facilitate cooperation in a multidisciplinary team
- Self- motivated, ability to work with minimum supervision seriousness about quality and timeliness of work.
- Current knowledge of development and technology related field.
- Knowledge of the health system in Nepal is an asset
For every Child, you demonstrate…
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages all candidates, irrespective of gender, nationality, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of the organization.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and advance to the next stage of the selection process.
Advertised: Nepal Standard Time
Applications close: Nepal Standard Time