Helmut-Schmidt-Programme (Master’s Scholarships for Public Policy and Good Governance) 2017
This programme is designed to further qualify future leaders in politics, law, economics and administration according to the principles of Good Governance and to prepare them in a praxis-oriented course for their professional life. The programme offers very good graduates with a first university degree the chance to obtain a Master’s degree in disciplines that are of special relevance for the social, political and economic development of their home country. With this programme, DAAD intends to contribute to the support of Good Governance and civil society structures in selected partner countries and regions.
The following Master courses are available:
Who can apply?
Very well qualified graduates with a first university degree (Bachelor or equivalent) who in the future want to actively contribute to the social and economic development of their home countries. The scholarships are offered both for young graduates without professional experience and for mid-career professionals. The scholarship scheme is open to candidates from Africa, Latin America, South Asia, Southeast Asia as well as from countries in the Middle East (see list of countries
What is fundable?
The scholarships are for Master courses at a German institution of higher education. The successful candidates will study on one of the selected Master courses listed above. The courses have an international orientation and are taught in German and/or English. The scholarship holders will study in groups and be offered a special DAAD-financed tutoring at their host institutions. Furthermore, there is the possibility of networking events for participants in different courses and their attendance at tailor-made summer-schools.
Before taking up their Master studies the scholarship holders will be placed on German courses for normally 6 months (this also applies to scholarship holders in Master courses taught in English).The language courses take place at selected institutes in Germany and not at the universities.
DAAD pays a monthly scholarship rate of currently 750 €. The scholarship also includes contributions to health insurance in Germany. In addition, DAAD grants an appropriate travel allowance as well as a study and research subsidy and in applicable cases rent subsidies and / or family allowances. DAAD-scholarship holders are exempt from tuition fees.
- In addition to the completed undergraduate studies (Bachelor or equivalent) and the study results, the main criterion for selection is a convincing description of the subject-related and personal motivation for the study project in Germany and the expected benefit after the return to the home country.
- For Master courses taught in German or in German and English, good knowledge of German (ideally at completed A 2 level at the time of application) is an advantage for being able to pass the German language test required for admission to the Master programme at the end of the six-month preparatory German course. For courses taught in English, proof of good knowledge of English is required. (For more details please check the admission requirements for the selected course.)
- The university degree should have been obtained during the six years before the application for the scholarship. Applicants cannot be considered if they have been in Germany for more than 15 months at the time of application.
- All Master courses have further additional requirements that must be fulfilled by the applicants at any case.
Please submit your application for the Master courses and for the DAAD scholarship solely to the Master courses you have selected at the respective university. Please check the deadlines on the homepages of the elected Master courses. You are allowed to submit your application to up to three Master courses listed below.
- Motivation Letter containing a precise description of the applicant’s academic / professional and personal reasons for wishing to participate in the programme
- Full Curriculum Vitae (CV) including information about precise field of study and, if applicable, description of job experience
- Copies of all certificates
- Recent language Certificates
- Two letters of recommendation by university professors and/or current or former employer
Please submit your application for the selected Master courses and for the DAAD scholarship directly to the respective university. The application period at all 8 universities lasts fromJune 1st to July 31st 2016.
You are allowed to submit your application for up to two Master courses listed. Please fill in the DAAD application form only once indicating the study courses in their order of priority. Please send this same application form and the necessary documents listed, to both universities of your choice.