Global Handwashing Day 2018: Clean hands- a recipe for health: October 15th is Global Handwashing Day!
Global Handwashing Day is a global advocacy day dedicated to increasing awareness and understanding about the importance of handwashing with soap as an effective and affordable way to prevent diseases. Global Handwashing Day is an opportunity to design, test, and replicate creative ways to encourage people to wash their hands with soap at critical times.
This year, the Global Handwashing Day theme focuses on the links between handwashing and food – including food hygiene and nutrition. Handwashing is an important part of keeping food safe, preventing diseases, and helping children grow strong. Our tagline, Clean hands – a recipe for health, reminds us to make handwashing a part of every meal.
What can we do?
- Wash your hands with soap at critical times, especially before eating, cooking, or feeding others.
- Model good handwashing behavior, and remind or help others to always wash their hands before eating.
- Make handwashing part of your family meals.
- Establish places to wash your hands in the household, in your community, in schools, workplaces, and in health facilities.
- Promote effective handwashing behavior change in research, policy, programs, and advocacy.
About 8 in 10 facilities have an improved water source and client latrine. Only about half of facilities have both soap and running water. - Key findings – The 2015 Nepal Health Facility Survey (2015 NHFS)