Grants of a maximum of two-year duration are awarded to Nepali students in any field except Medicine to pursue Master’s degrees in the United States. Each year the Nepal Fulbright Commission awards from four to six such scholarships to Nepali students through a nationwide competition.
The Fulbright Foreign Student Program (Master’s-Level Award) announcement is generally made in February and interviews conducted in June.
NATURE OF GRANTS
The Fulbright master’s level grant provides all expenses (including travel) for up to two years study at selected U.S. universities, in any field except medicine. The call for applications opens in February of each year.
ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS FOR APPLICANTS
- Possess Nepali citizenship.
- Demonstrate in post-intermediate degrees a minimum aggregate mark of: 54% for students in non-technical fields (humanities and social sciences), and 62% for students in science and technical fields. (The minimum requirements for students under the semester system are: 65% in nontechnical fields; 75% in technical fields; or a Cumulative GPA of 3.50/4.00 in either field.). If the grading systems, fields of study or educational systems for the bachelor’s and master’s level are different (percentage and GPA grades, non-technical and science/technical fields, yearly and semester systems, etc.), the applicant needs to meet the minimum score requirements separately, not in the aggregate.
- Have a high level of competence in speaking, reading and writing English.
- Possess either a four-year bachelor’s degree; or, if the bachelor’s degree was of fewer than four years duration, then a master’s degree is also required, such that the total number of years of formal education equals at least 16. Students with a three-year bachelor’s degree who have completed only the first year of a two-year master’s degree program, and master’s degree students who have cleared all exams but still need to fulfill other university-mandated degree requirements are ineligible to apply. Similarly, students who have two or more two-year/three-year bachelor’s degree but no master’s degree are ineligible to apply for the Fulbright program. After nomination by the Commission, the nominee is expected to achieve a PBT TOEFL score (or equivalent) of at least 580 and take the GRE General Exam. Test vouchers for standardized tests will be provided for all nominees. Nominees will be required to take the tests soon after the nomination in order to ensure that test scores can be sent to the US.
- Work requirement: Applicants must have at least three years (for men) or one year (for women) of post-bachelor’s degree, full-time, professional work experience in an area directly relevant to the applicant’s chosen field of study as of the application filing deadline date. This experience must be documented by letters (or attested copies) from employer (s) that verify applicant’s position (s) and years of employment. Even if you worked at several organizations, you are eligible to apply as long as your work experience at those organizations adds up to the minimum work-duration requirement.
- Be in excellent health, as evidenced by a letter from a medical doctor.
- Be eligible for a non-immigrant J-1 U.S. visa, and not already in possession or in the process of obtaining a U.S. immigrant visa (“green card”).
Note: Individuals holding master’s degrees equivalent to a U.S. master’s degree are ineligible to apply for the Fulbright Foreign Student Scholarship. Individuals who have previously resided in the United States for six months or more during the preceding five years prior to the application submission deadline are also ineligible to apply. In addition, this competition is not open to: individuals with, or in the process of obtaining, U.S. citizenship or U.S. permanent resident status; employees of USEF-Nepal and local employees of the U.S. Mission in Nepal who work for the U.S. Department of State, and their spouses and dependent children (who are ineligible for grants during the period of their employment and for one year following the termination of employment).