Certificate in Dental Science (Dental Hygiene)- CTEVT
The Government of Nepal has called for the provision of basic health service to all by establishing a network of health services in remote and urban areas. In this regard the Council for Technical Education and Vocational Training (CTEVT) has been contributing towards the development of different level of health personnel. In the field of dental health, CTEVT has planned to produce middle level dental service providers in the form of Dental Hygienist. The Council will award “Certificate in Dental Science (Dental Hygiene)” to those candidates who successfully complete the requirements as prescribed by this curriculum. The Certificate in Dental Science (Dental Hygiene) graduates will be able to work as Dental Hygienist in the hospital and clinical settings under the supervision of the Dental Surgeon and also will be able to in the community.
The philosophy of this curriculum is based on the development of Dental Science (Dental Hygiene) as a profession for fulfilling the basic dental/oral health care needs of the people with its socio-cultural impact on health. The approach focuses on dental health care and services for better human health. It is based on the code of conduct of Health Professional Council of Nepal.
The course is based on the job required to be performed by a Dental Hygienist at different health institutions in the country. The Certificate in Dental Science (Dental Hygiene) program extends over three academic years. The first year focuses on core subjects, the second year focuses on the subjects of dental Science and public health, and the third year focuses on the application of acquired knowledge and skills through comprehensive practices in hospital, and in community settings. The graduates are eligible for registration as Dental Hygienist (Grade-B) in the Health Professional Council of Nepal.
Aims and Objectives
- The course aims to produce certificate level Dental Hygienists with sound academic knowledge combined with related technical skills, which can face real life situation at the level they are aimed at. The course enables:
- To prepare technically competent middle level human resource who will demonstrate positive attitude and respect to the profession and to the socio-cultural values
- To develop quality & ethical dental Science practice in the hospitals as well as in the community settings 3 Certificate in Dental Science, 2006
- To develop the attitude to educate and motivate the patients and community to practice plaque control measures to maintain oral Science
- To acquire the skill to perform diagnosis & dental scaling of common periodontal disease
- To use periodontal instruments for basic periodontal therapy and maintenance of the same
- To develop attitude to impart preventive measures of oral health, especially preventing the periodontal diseases
- To conserve the tooth to the maximum possible extent by maintaining periodontal health & ART procedure.
- To develop an attitude to perform the procedures under full aseptic measures
- To develop attitude to prevent iatrogenic disease, and ¾ To perform dental X-rays and Photography and refer for final diagnosis to dental surgeon
- To refer the patients who require specialized care to Dental Surgeon / specialist.
- To provide Extended Services.
- SLC pass candidates (Minimum C grade in English, Science and Mathematics and overall ”GPA 2”)
- Maximum of 40 students in a batch
The entry criteria are:
- SLC with 45% in aggregate with English, Science and Mathematics as compulsory subjects (Minimum C grade in English, Science and Mathematics and overall ”GPA 2”)
- Pass entrance examination conducted by CTEVT
Applicant should submit the following documents at the time of application:
- SLC pass certificate
- Character certificate
- Citizenship certificate
- Student quota for different category of students as per the policy of CTEVT.
Medium of Instruction
- English and Nepali
- The Certificate in Dental Science (Dental Hygiene) program extends over three academic years.
- An academic year consists of maximum of 39 academic weeks and one academic week consists of maximum of 40 hours.
Those who completed General Medicine course can be eligible to sit in the entrance examination of Bachelor in Public Health (BPH) and other disciplines, but need to complete deficiency course of science conducted by Higher Secondary Education Board (HSEB) to be eligible for MBBS entrance examination. In order to study Bachelor in Nursing (BN) two years of job experience is required. In addition, graduates of Diploma in Pharmacy and Proficiency in Medical Lab Technology courses can be eligible for the bachelor level in respective subjects.