Data Associate for Maternal and Perinatal Death Surveillance and Response (MPDSR) and Birth Defect Surveillance Data Management
Maternal and Perinatal Death Surveillance and Response (MPDSR) guideline and its implementation plan was developed in 2014/15 with the goal to eliminate preventable maternal and perinatal deaths. The monitoring and surveillance of maternal deaths has been expanded to community maternal deaths also. This system will support to generate information for evidence based planning at local level and central level. The surveillance cycle includes identification of cases, collection of information, analysing findings, recommendations for action and evaluation and refining of the system. Particular focus is on the response and action part of the surveillance, so that the information obtained can be acted upon to prevent future deaths. To identify the community maternal deaths, verbal autopsy tools for maternal death is adopted from WHO VA tool and tested in nine maternal deaths and tool finalised.
Nepal Health Sector Strategy (NHSS) has identified this as a priority program and targeted for strengthening and expansion during the NHSS Implementation period (2015-2020). Ministry of Health and Population has expanded this program upto 11 districts (Baitadi, Kailali, Banke, Surkhet, Jumla, Rupandehi, Kaski, Dhading, Sarlahi, Solukhumbu and Sunsari) and 77 hospitals till Chaitra 2074 with the vision of getting reliable national data and cause of death on maternal and perinatal deaths to support future planning and programing to end preventable maternal and perinatal deaths.
With changing scenario of neonatal deaths (NMR reduced to 23/1000 live births NDHS 2016), for further reduction, birth defect prevention and management needs to be focused. Government of Nepal has developed Five year implementation plan on birth defect prevention and control and reduce mortality and morbidity caused. The need for special intervention to prevent and control birth defect to address health status of mother, nutritional factors, behaviour and environmental exposures and other factors is important.
Family Health Division has initiated the data management system for MPDSR and BD in the web-based system. Hospitals and districts report the information on maternal and perinatal deaths in the web-based system regularly. Similarly, selected referral hospitals (16) are reporting Birth Defect related information in the WHO SEARO Newborn Birth Defect Database.
Terms of reference:
- Support GoN regarding completeness of notifications and screening forms of deaths of women age 12-55 years, verbal autopsy forms entered from districts implementing community-based MPDSR in the web-based system developed by FHD
- Support GoN regarding completeness of maternal death review and perinatal death review forms entered from hospitals implementing facility-based MPDSR in the webbased system
- Support to provide timely feedback to hospitals for entry of data and management of the data already entered in the web-based system
- Support to enter data in Newborn Birth Defect database related to newborn, birth defect and still births from hospitals in the National Network for Newborn Birth Defect Surveillance system
- Support in the MPDSR and birth defect activities conducted through FHD with relevant information generated from the web-based system
- Provide support to the hospitals and districts during entering the online data
- Provide data at the national and sub-national level on MPDSR and birth defect for analysis
- Support to update the online tools in case of modification ix. Online entry of MPDSR forms and birth defect related information for hard copies of forms reported at FHD
- Support FHD to develop MPDSR dash-board and periodic update
- Support FHD to ensure quality of online MPDSR and Birth Defect surveillance data in terms of timeliness, completeness and coverage
- Any other tasks as assigned by supervisor
- Essential: Bachelors in Public Health or Nursing
- Desirable: Masters in Public Health
- Essential: At least two years’ experience in working health program with managing and analyzing health related data using SPSS or Stata.
- Desirable: Familiar with Health Management Information System
- Application with updated CV and expected remuneration. Duration: Six months
Kantipur (May 4, 2018)