Consultant for the Nepal Family Planning Project (NFPP)-Ipas Nepal: Ipas Nepal is a non-profit international organization that works to increase women’s ability to exercise their Sexual and Reproductive Health, especially the Right to Safe Abortion. We seek to eliminate Unsafe Abortion and the resulting deaths and injuries and to expand women’s access to Comprehensive Abortion Care, including contraception and related reproductive health information and care.
Position Title: Consultant for the Nepal Family Planning Project (NFPP)
Period: 10 February 2019 to 10 June 2019
Nepal Demographic Health Survey (2016) shows that majority of non-users of contraceptives (62%) had not discussed family planning (FP) with health worker, female community health volunteers or anyone at a health facility, 12 months before the survey. Moreover, analysis of DHS found that Nepalese women not using family planning reported method related concerns, especially fear of harmful side effects, as the most common reason for non-use. In other hand, more than half of women (57%) reported discontinuing of contraceptives within 12 months. Notably, the most common reason for discontinuation was husband being away (47%) followed by side effects or health concerns (18%)
Community people/leaders could play an influential role in the community to encourage optimal healthcare seeking behavior and discourage risky health behaviors. Many health programmes have used Community Dialogue Meetings (CDM) as an effective method of joint problem identification and analysis leading to modification and redirection of community and stakeholders action. Therefore, our project aims to conduct CDM with the non-health groups to have open, and solution-oriented conversation about family planning related issues affecting their community. We will use a two-staged approach for this activity. First, service providers from underserved areas in the district (relatively low contraceptive users) will be invited for two days interactive workshop on family planning in the districts who will then conduct CDM in their respective catchment areas with the existing non-health groups.
Ipas Nepal is therefore looking for qualified personnel to work with the NFPP team members to carry out the CDM activities and other field level activities. In this regard, a consultant will be hired to carry out this work. The consultant will work with the Family Planning project team members of Ipas Nepal.
The orientation will be conducted in 9 LARC districts as mentioned below.
- Morang, Saptari, Mahottari, Parsa, Kapilvastu, Nawalparasi, Dailekh, Kavre, Makwanpur
Duty station: Ipas central office with frequent field visits (9 LARC districts)
Scope of Work
- Coordinate with municipalities, DHOs, MSI/SPN district officers and relevant stakeholders to conduct CDM in the respective districts
- Conduct technical sessions in the orientation using various training materials provided
- Prepare financial and technical reports of the orientation/activities conducted
- Monitor the progress of the activities in the 9 districts and work with the FP focal person in the districts to obtain the technical and financial reports of the activities carried out in the field and report to the team members on a regular basis
- Perform any other duties as required by the project during the contract duration
Timely and periodic reports of the field activities carried out in the 9 LARC districts
Qualification and Experience Requirements
- Master’s degree in Public Health with a minimum of 3 years of experience working in family planning/ Sexual Reproductive Health programmes
- Prior experience of working at the district level and particularly in the above mentioned districts
- Prior experience of working in the area of family planning/ Sexual Reproductive Health programmes
- Knowledge of local language of the mentioned districts preferred (particularly Maithili, Bhojpuri and/or Avadhi)
Applications along with detailed CV to be emailed by close of business on February 3, 2019, Sunday to Email: email@example.com
Please make your application subject as Consultant for the Nepal Family Planning Project (NFPP).
Canvassing at any stage will lead to automatic dismissal and Ipas Nepal reserves all rights to make the final selection.