The Coalition of Feminists for Social Change (COFEM) is seeking a part-time advocacy and communications intern for a period of 6 months, starting September 1, 2018 through February 28, 2019. This intern will report to the COFEM Coordinator and provide support to the Coordinator, the COFEM Coordinating Committee (CC), as well as the larger COFEM membership. The ideal candidate has administrative, communications, and advocacy experience at an NGO or INGO. This is a paid, home-based internship for master’s students or recent graduates with an interest in or experience working on violence against women and girls (VAWG) globally.
COFEM is an advocacy collective of thought leaders, activists, practitioners and academics working globally to end VAWG. COFEM was formed in 2017 to create a feminist space for practitioners, academics and activists to critically engage with and collectively address challenges facing VAWG work. COFEM’s objectives are two-fold:
- To provide a forum for connection, discussion, problem solving, mutual support and activism to advance feminist, women-centered strategies for ending VAWG and promoting the rights of women and girls;
- To collectively identify and implement strategies and actions to overcome the challenges facing feminist-informed efforts to address VAWG, and make sure that women and girls remain at the center of all efforts to end VAWG.
Under the Supervision of the COFEM Coordinator, the intern will:
Provide support for COFEM’s donor-funded projects, including:
- Support maintenance of COFEM website, working with IT experts to regularly update the site
- Support implementation of the COFEM virtual Knowledge Summit event over 16 Days of Activism (November-December)
- Support implementation of the COFEM Action Plan, including regular monitoring of progress against objectives/actions
Maintain and monitor COFEM external and internal communication
- Update COFEM social media channels (Facebook and twitter) at least twice a week
- Draft internal monthly bulletin, schedule monthly teleconference, develop meeting agenda, participate in monthly CC meeting and teleconference, take meeting minutes
- Manage COFEM inbox, membership and respond to queries
Undertake any other duties or tasks as requested by the Coordinator and the Coordinating Committee.
Required Skills and Experience:
- A master’s degree (or in process of attaining a master’s degree) in International Affairs, Gender Studies, Human Rights or related field of study;
- At least 2 years of experience working with activist groups, NGOs or INGOs;
- Applicant must hold strong feminist value and support an inclusive environment;
- Respect the core principles of COFEM and confidentiality of its members, as COFEM is a member’s only forum;
- An understanding of and interest in work addressing VAWG, as well as deep knowledge of feminist theory;
- Proven experience in managing communication functions such as websites and social media channels;
- Familiarity with Adobe Creative Suite, CRM systems and website development a plus; and
- A positive attitude, someone who is ready to dive in and make a difference!
To apply for this position, please email your CV and letter of interest to email@example.com, with subject line (COFEM Advocacy & Communications Intern: Name of Applicant) – by 31 July, 2018.