Certificate in Ophthalmic Science- CTEVT
Government of Nepal has called for the provision of basic health care for all persons by establishing a network of services in remote villages and urban population centers. The Council for Technical Education and Vocational Training (CTEVT) has been contributing towards the development of different level of health personnel. In this context, CTEVT has planned to produce middle level Eye Health Cadre Ophthalmic Assistant with a view to provide curative, preventive and promotive eye health services to the community. Initially this cadre of human resource were used to certify through CTEVT/Skill test department and considered as a vocational training. This kind of certification though was catering the immediate need of eye care programme in the country, the trained ophthalmic assistant has limited horizon to grow and limited career ladder to upgrade themselves.
This has contributed for the increasing demand of academic training which will allow them to grow further after completion of this certificate level course. In this regards, the CTEVT has decided to start certificate level programme leading to degree “Certificate in Ophthalmic Science” to the candidates who successfully complete the requirements as prescribed by the CTEVT.
The trained Ophthalmic Assistant is a professional Ophthalmic Health Worker, who has been given three full years training in Ophthalmology and related health sciences. The aim of this three years training is to produce compassionate mid level ophthalmic human resource who can help and play important role in eye care delivery system within the hospital and in the community. The graduates would be eligible for registration with the Nepal Health Professional Council in the category as mentioned in the Act of the Council. The registered graduates would be then eligible for the job at different level health institutions to the position as prescribed by the Public Service Commission or the concerned authority.
The mission of the curriculum is to educate and train the quality middle level ophthalmic health personnel equipped with sound knowledge and skills of Ophthalmology along with general medicine.
The philosophy of the curriculum should be based on the development of both clinical and public health service provider as a profession for fulfilling the health needs of the people with its socio-cultural impact on health. It should be based on code of conduct of Nepal Health Professional Council. The approach should focus on providing curative, preventive and promotive primary eye health services in better way.
This course is based on the job required to perform by a middle level Ophthalmic health personnel at different level eye/health institutions in Nepal. The Certificate in Ophthalmic Science on Ophthalmology program extends over three years. The first year focuses on basic sciences and foundational subjects, the second on medical sciences, and the third year is given to the application of learned theory and skill development within comprehensive practice settings, both hospital and community.
Aim and Objectives
The course aims to produce middle level Ophthalmic personnel with equipped sound knowledge and perfect skills of Ophthalmology along with knowledge and skills of general medicine at the level they are aimed at. The course enable students:
- To acquire sound knowledge and perfect skills of Ophthalmology and general medicine
- To demonstrate competency in identifying and resolving community health problems by applying Ophthalmic and modern procedure and medicines taking in consideration of nature of the diseases and condition of the patients
- To demonstrate basic knowledge and clinical skills necessary to diagnose and manage primary eye/health problems of patients
- To exhibit leadership skills and professional characteristics and attitudes required as the role of Ophthalmic health personnel or primary eye/health care manager.
- To demonstrate the necessary knowledge and skills to work in a variety of eye/health care settings To promote Ophthalmology system of medicine with modern knowledge and skills Conceptual Framework
The course should reflect:
- The need of ophthalmic service in proper care of a eye patient.
- The need of proper curative, preventive and promotive care services in improving Ophthalmic and general medicine The respect gained from the community through professional service
- The roles and responsibilities of Ophthalmic health personnel to improve the eye/health care system
- The development of professionalism in Ophthalmology sector by addressing simple to complex ideas those are associated with epistemology, ontology and methodology in Ophthalmic and general medicine
- SLC pass youths (Minimum C grade in English, Science and Mathematics and overall ”GPA 2”)
Group size 40 nos. in a batch
The entry criteria are:
- SLC with minimum of 45% in aggregate with English, Science and Mathematics as compulsory subjects or as per CTEVT entrance policy
- Candidates who pass SLC with optional Ophthalmology will be preferable
- Should pass entrance examination administered by CTEVT
- Final selection will be made on the basis merit list.
Candidates should submit the following documents at the time of application
- SLC pass certificate
- Character certificate
- Citizenship certificate (for the name, parents’ name, age, date of birth and address verification purpose only)
Medium of Instruction
- The medium of instruction will be in English and/or Nepali language.
- The Certificate in Ophthalmic Science (Ophthalmology) program extends over three academic years.
- One academic year consists of maximum of 39 academic weeks and one academic week consists of maximum of 40 hrs.
Those who completed General Medicine course can be eligible to sit in the entrance examination of Bachelor in Public Health (BPH) and other disciplines, but need to complete deficiency course of science conducted by Higher Secondary Education Board (HSEB) to be eligible for MBBS entrance examination. In order to study Bachelor in Nursing (BN) two years of job experience is required. In addition, graduates of Diploma in Pharmacy and Proficiency in Medical Lab Technology courses can be eligible for the bachelor level in respective subjects.