Certificate in Medical Laboratory Technologist (CMLT)
This course is based on the academic requirements to enter into bachelor level health sciences as well as able to provide diagnostic laboratory services as a middle level human health resource. After completion of the course the graduate is expected to perform laboratory procedures as per assigned by Nepal Health Professional council independently at different level health institutions in Nepal and abroad. The program is three academic years’ duration. The first year course focuses on basic science and foundational subjects, the second year course focuses on basic laboratory subject theory/practical simultaneously and the third year is given to the application of learned skills and knowledge within the comprehensive practical settings, in hospitals and medical laboratory.
Aims and objectives
The course aims to produce middle level medical laboratory technology personnel with sound academic knowledge equipped with perfect technical skills who can face real life situation at the level they are aimed at. The course enables students to:
- Perform routine and special laboratory investigations on clinical and non-clinical samples independently. • Interpret the results and explain underlying principles in each investigation.
- Prepare reagents required for routine and special investigations.
- Set up clinical laboratory in primary health centre and district level.
- Practice quality control system in medical laboratory to deliver quality laboratory service.
- Perform middle level laboratory management works, supervision of subordinates and preparation of reports.
- Assist in research works.
- SLC(Minimum C grade in English, Science and Mathematics and overall ”GPA 2”)and T SLC (Lab assistant) pass youths
The entry criteria are:
- SLC with 45% in aggregate with English, Science and Mathematics as compulsory subjects and TSLC in Lab Technology with first division
- Passed entrance examination administered by CTEVT
Applicant should submit the following documents at the time of application
- SLC pass certificate
- Character certificate
- Citizenship certificate (for the name, parents name, age, date of birth and address verification purpose only)
- Physical fitness certificate (at the time of admission)
Medium of instruction
The languages of instruction are:
- The CMLS program extends to over three academic years.
- One academic year consists of 39 academic weeks and one academic week consists of 32 to 37 hours.
Those who completed General Medicine course can be eligible to sit in the entrance examination of Bachelor in Public Health (BPH) and other disciplines, but need to complete deficiency course of science conducted by Higher Secondary Education Board (HSEB) to be eligible for MBBS entrance examination. In order to study Bachelor in Nursing (BN) two years of job experience is required. In addition, graduates of Diploma in Pharmacy and Proficiency in Medical Lab Technology courses can be eligible for the bachelor level in respective subjects.