Capacity Building in Malaria with a Focus on E-Learning Malaria Course in Tanzania: March 25 to April 19, 2019
To strengthen competences of actors involved in the fight against malaria in endemic countries.
- Building capacity by reinforcing knowledge and expertise of persons involved in the care of patients, in control programmes or in research activities in the field of malaria.
- To develop competence in self- and e-learning. At the end of the course, the participants should be able to manage malaria issues more effectively and to develop basic training courses and material in their home institutions.
The course is organised by the Swiss Tropical and Public Health Institute, Basel, Switzerland (Swiss TPH) and the Ifakara Health Institute (IHI), Bagamoyo Branch, Tanzania, with support of the Swiss Agency for Development and Cooperation. The course will take place in Bagamoyo, Tanzania which has the computer facilities to run an internet-based course.
Participants will strengthen their capacity to learn by themselves using new communication technologies. They will engage in active learning-teaching exercises, group discussions and informal exchange with peers. They will be supported by national and international expert facilitators. The course will be organized into 4 weekly modules and will rely on specialized facilitators that will rotate every week to assist participants in their self-learning.
- 1st week: March 25-29 Topics: Informatics & Internet search, Literature search, Interventions on vectors, Modelling, Insectary visit
- 2nd week: April 1-5 Topics: Malaria parasites, Diagnostics, Immunology, Vaccines, Laboratory & Clinical trials tour
- 3rd week: April 8-12 Topic: Clinical features, Pharmacovigilance, Fever diagnosis, Treatment, Pregnancy, Hospital visit
- 4th week: April 15-19 Topic: Surveillance, Health economics, Elimination.
This course is designed for individuals involved in malaria research or malaria control and elimination (health personnel, scientists and researchers, public health specialists and malaria control administrators). 16 participants from malaria-affected countries will be selected according to their profile, professional status, letter of motivation and recommendations. The minimum requirement is a BSc or Master degree, several years of professional experience and basic computer skills.
Costs of the course
Registration fees are USD 500 per participant. Course fees as well as travel, accommodation and food expenses will be sponsored by the organizers. Health insurance is at the expense of the participants. No per diem will be distributed.
The application package shall include:
- the complete application form, available on https://www.swisstph.ch/mctz2019/
- curriculum vitae
- letter of motivation, maximum 1 page
- recommendation letter from the person in charge of the applicant’s employer confirming the importance of the training for the applicant and the home institution.
The application package should be sent by email latest by January 15, 2019 to the following email address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Contact For further information, please contact: Dr Konstantina Boutsika Socinstrasse 57 CH-4051 Basel Switzerland T: +41 61 284 81 42 email@example.com