Master in Public Health (MPH) Program in BPKIHS: Eligibility, Fee & Entrance Model
Master in Public Health (MPH) Program:
All candidates having age less than 35 years by the last date of submission of application are eligible to apply. However, age limit for candidates working in the relevant field is up to 45 years.
a) Bachelor degree in any health related sciences from recognized university (e.g. Medicine, Dentistry, Nursing, Public Health, Biological Sciences, Nutrition, Pharmacy, Laboratory, Physiotherapy, Ayurveda and Optometry) with one year work experience.
b) 4 years bachelor degree or 16-years of education in any social or management sciences from recognized university (e.g. Sociology, Population Studies, Management, Economics, Psychology, Anthropology and Social Work) with two year work experience.
- Work experience in recognized public or private health or developmental organization or in teaching institutes/universities related to health sciences is mandatory.
- Work experience is not mandatory for Medicine, Dentistry and Public Health graduates.
HOW TO APPLY
Candidate must submit his/her application online ONLY. There is no provision for manual submission of application. Please read the prospectus carefully before proceeding to apply. Procedure for Online Application
- Instructions to submit online application is available on the institute’s website: bpkihs.edu, entrance.bpkihs.edu
- Examination for verification of his/her identity and for keeping institutional record.
- Examination Fees: NPR 5,000/-
- Submission period for application is from 27 th April 2018 to 27th May (Sunday) 2018. However, forms can be submitted with a late processing extra fee of NPR 2,000/- from 28th May 2018 till 3rd June (Sunday) 2018.
- Once the form has been submitted, it will be scrutinized and the status of the application will be intimated within 7 days.
- Candidates must bring and deposit the original bank voucher/SWIFT transfer receipt at the time of Entrance Examination.
- Admit card will be electronically issued/can be downloaded after 17th June 2018 following verification of the uploaded certificates/bank voucher/SWIFT transfer and the application form.
Entrance Examination For MPH Entrance Examination:
- At 9:30 am on 21th June (Thursday) 2018 Venue: B. P. Koirala Institute of Health Sciences, Dharan.
Structure of the Examination
The Entrance examination will be of 3 hours duration with 200 single best response multiple choice questions carrying 200 marks. A master merit list of all candidates who appeared in the entrance examination and scored at least 50% marks (cut-off mark) will be drawn. There is no negative marking. The Entrance Examination is common for both Nepalese and International candidates. The subjects from where the questions will be asked are:
- Health Related 80
- Research Methodology 60
- English 40
- General Knowledge & Aptitude on Public Health 20
- Total 200
In case of tie
In case of tie in MSc candidates, the candidate who has scored higher marks in the Bachelor level examination will be given higher position in the merit list. In MPH program, the candidate who has scored higher marks in the health related section of the entrance examination will be given higher position in the merit list. If there is 2nd tie between two or more candidates for the last place for counseling by virtue of the candidate having same marks in the Entrance Examination, the candidate older in age will be given higher position in the merit list. Electronic devices (such as calculator, digital watch, mobile phone, log tables etc.) and pen, ball pen, pencil, eraser, sharpener, wallet etc. will not be allowed in the examination hall. For writing on the answer sheet, ball pen will be provided in the examination hall. The examination center will not look after the personal belongings (mobile phones, bags etc.) of the candidates and they have to make their own arrangement for their safe custody.
In the context of Entrance Examinations, counseling is the process of selecting the subjects and confirming the seats and categories by the candidates themselves on the basis of the merit list drawn from the Entrance Examination. At the time of counseling, the candidates must have Entrance Examination Admit Card with them.
Candidates who appeared in the entrance examination shall be called for the counseling in order of merit.
- Candidate called for counseling should report to the BPKIHS Dharan at 10:00 am on 27th June (Wednesday) 2018 along with the original certificates/documents.
- Candidates will be called for counseling on the basis of merit.
- Candidates of MSc on top of the merit list will be given first preference to choose a discipline and tuition fee scheme available in MSc and MSc Nursing program at the time of counseling.
- Candidates of MPH on top of the merit list will be given first preference to choose the tuition fee scheme.
- Candidate who gives written confirmation of subject and tuition fee scheme for admission must deposit their required original certificates at the time of counseling. If they want to withdraw the certificates to cancel the admission process, certificates will be returned only after the session starts after paying a penalty as per institute rules.
MSc and MPH candidate All successful candidates should take admission by 5:00 pm 28th June (Thursday) to 4 th July (Wednesday) 2018. The list of candidates who qualify for admission will be put up on the notice boards of the BPKIHS in Dharan.
DATE OF JOINING
Selected candidates for MSc/MPH is required to report to the respective departments/school by 2 nd September (Sunday) 2018. There will be an orientation class on the 1st September, 2018. A Foundation Course shall be organized for all PG students (MSc and MPH). The participation in the foundation course is mandatory.
DURATION OF THE COURSE
The MPH programs are of 2 years duration. The MSc (Basic Sciences) course is of 3 years duration. The maximum limit to complete the PG course in all the PG programs (MSc, MPH) should not exceed 6 years from the date of the start of the course.
MPH thesis is considered as one of the regular subjects and carries marks. A time slot is given to the student for preparing thesis protocol (6 months) and writing and submitting the thesis. Thesis must be completed and submitted by the end of 18 months of course.