2018 IPOS Research Training Academy in Hong Kong – Submit your scholarship application by June 22, 2018
Building Research in Low- and Low-Middle-Income Countries – Creating Connections, Advancing Science.
2018 IPOS Research Training Academy in Hong Kong
Theme: Research Training Academy to Build the Future Generation of Psycho-Oncology Researchers in Low- and Low-Middle-Income Countries
Submit your scholarship application by June 22, 2018
The International Psycho-Oncology Society (IPOS) has been selected to receive a generous grant from CRDF Global in partnership with the National Cancer Institute (NCI) to offer NCI Travel Scholarships for professionals from low-income and low-middle-income countries (LMIC) to attend the 2018 IPOS Research Training Academy in Hong Kong. The IPOS Research Training Academy is a 3-day pre-congress training academy to be given on October 28-30, 2018.
This Research Training Academy aims to combine both capacity-building around knowledge generation using traditional quantitative and qualitative research designs as well as the field of knowledge translation research. The Research Training Academy will use a combination of didactic seminars and hands-on research protocol development activities. Participants will develop a research project and briefly present it on the last day of the Academy to obtain feedback. We will pair our NCI Scholars with IPOS Mentors for continued scientific support over one year in implementing the research project within their respective countries.
This research training is critically needed in LMICs given the enormous burden that cancer poses and the crippling effect of psychological distress and social strife on cancer disease outcomes and quality of life, which cannot be successfully addressed through research conducted exclusively in high-income countries. This proposed RTA ultimately seeks to provide opportunities for advanced training in research, networking and collaboration opportunities, and on-going mentorship by established IPOS-affiliated researchers, necessary for the development of structured research programs in the LMIC context.
Scholarships will be provided to key LMIC health care professionals to attend the 2018 IPOS Research Training Academy in Hong Kong. These professionals must be within completion of their academic training and establishment of their independent careers (i.e., within 6 years after completion of their academic training). Exceptions may be made for participants who have had delays from extenuating circumstances (i.e., leave of absence from work for maternity/paternity, sickness, etc.). They must also be based in and conduct their research in LMIC in a variety of clinical or academic fields appropriate to the field of psycho-oncology (e.g., physicians, nurses, psychologists, social workers, epidemiologist). Other criteria for eligibility are described below. The number of scholarships and capacity to cover expenses related to the IPOS Congress from October 31-November 2 following the RTA will depend on funding, and scholars need to be available for this period as well. NCI Travel Scholarships from October 28-30, 2018 will cover costs of training, flight, hotel and meals. Kindly complete the scholarship application by June 22, 2018, which will be peer-reviewed.
Full eligibility criteria for the NCI Travel Scholarship application (please note that all criteria must be met):
- Be a professional within completion of their academic training and establishment of their independent careers (i.e., within 6 years of completion of their academic training);
- Be based in and conduct their research in LMIC in a variety of clinical or academic fields appropriate to the field of psycho-oncology (e.g., physicians, nurses, psychologists, social workers, epidemiologist);
- Country of residence in Low-income and lower-middle income countries as defined by the World Bank: https://datahelpdesk.worldbank.org/knowledgebase/articles/906519-world-bank-country-and-lending-groups;
- Fluent in oral and written English;
- Provide a photocopy of a national passport from the country of residence valid for the required period after departure from Hong Kong (November 3, 2018) – Please check with your appropriate embassy or consular authority to ensure your passport is valid for the required period;
- Have no known criminal record;
- If this is required (depends on the country of residence see link below), commit to obtain a Visit/Transit Visa from Hong Kong and show proof of this valid Visa to IPOS at least 2 months before the RTA (before August 28, 2018) https://www.immd.gov.hk/eng/services/visas/visit-transit/visit-visa-entry-permit.html; You can find the Visa form here: https://www.immd.gov.hk/pdforms/ID1003A.pdf
- Be eligible to obtain a Visa from Hong Kong if a Visa is required: https://immd.gov.hk/eng/services/visas/visit_transit.html;
- Commit to attend the three-day Research Training Academy on October 28-30 if selected to obtain a NCI Travel Scholarship;
- Provided IPOS fundraising is successful, commit to attend the three day IPOS Congress in Hong Kong (on October 31-November 2) as well as specific events within this congress as mandated by the RTA Organizing Committee: http://www.ipos2018.com/;
- Commit to developing a research project during the Research Training Academy and present it briefly in a 15-min presentation on the last day of the Academy;
- Commit to being mentored during 6 meetings over one year by an IPOS researcher for continued scientific support in implementing a research project;
- The Scholarships will comply with the Fly America Act, which will require that all domestic and international travel funded be purchased from a US-flag air carrier. The Fly America Act applies to any segment of a trip where a US-flag carrier is an available option;
- Be open to sharing a hotel room in double occupancy during the Research Training Academy and Congress (with same sex pairing).
- Please note that travel arrangements and accommodations will be organized by IPOS for recipients of the NCI Travel Scholarship. There will be no possibility of extending or altering these plans.
- It is the responsibility of the applicant to ensure the application is complete. Incomplete applications or handwritten applications will be automatically withdrawn from the contest without notice. Applications will only be accepted if they are received at your earliest convenience before June 22, 2018 to the following email address: applications2018RTA@ipos-society.org. Applications must include the fully completed Application Form, a five-page Curriculum Vitae for the applicant, and a Copy of his/her Passport valid for travel to Hong Kong during the Academy.
- Please send any questions you may have about this call for applications to the following email address: info2018RTA@ipos-society.org. IPOS will only be available to answer any questions related to this call for applications from May 17 to June 7, 2018, after which IPOS will no longer be able to answer. After June 7, 2018, the next correspondence the applicants will receive is the result of the competition. Participants should anticipate receiving the results by the first week of August. If you have not received a response, please check the IPOS website to find out if there has been a delay in the processing of the applications. If you have not received a letter of offer by the first week of August by email, unless otherwise indicated on the IPOS website, it means that you were not selected for the scholarship.
- The provision of NCI Scholarships is conditional upon available funding by CRDF Global.
HOW TO SUBMIT THE APPLICATION?
Please email your Scholarship Application Form including the Check List, a current copy of your Curriculum Vitae (CV) in English and a copy of your passport no later than June 22, 2018 to the following email: applications2018RTA@ipos-society.org. PLEASE NOTE THAT APPLICATIONS WITHOUT A 5-PAGE CV AND COPY OF PASSPORT WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED.